Introducing the new SolarFoot™ for exposed fastener metal roofing with the strength, testing, quality, and time-proven integrity you expect from S-5!.
- Manufactured in the U.S.A. from certified raw material
- Fabricated in our own ISO 9001:2015 Certified factory
- All aluminum and stainless components
- 25yr limited warranty
- Compatible with all commercial L-Foot products on the market
- Factory applied 40-year isobutylene/isoprene crosslink polymer sealant for reliable weathertightness
- Sealant reservoir to prevent over-compression of sealant
- Load tested normal to seam
- Four points of attachment into structure or deck with tested holding strength for engineered applications
- Integrated with M8-1.25x17mm stud and M8-1.25 stainless steel hex flange nut included
The SolarFoot is a simple, cost-effective pedestal for L-Foot (not included) attachment of rail-mounted solar PV. The unique design is compatible with all rail producer L-Foot components. The new SolarFoot assembly ensures a durable weathertight solution for the life of the roof. Special factory applied butyl co-polymeric sealant contained in a reservoir is The Right Way, allowing a water-tested seal. Stainless integrated stud and hex flange lock-nut secure the L-Foot into position. A low center of gravity reduces the moment arm commonly associated with L-Foot attachments. Direct attachment of the SolarFoot to the structural member or deck provides unparalleled holding strength.
Solar Foot Advantages:
- Exposed faster mounting platform for solar arrays attached via L-Foot and Rails
- Weatherproof attachment to exposed fastener roofing
- Butyl sealant reservoir provides long-term waterproof seal
- M8-1.25x17mm stud with M8 hex flange nut for attachment of all popular L-Foot/rail combinations
- Tool: 13 mm Hex Socket or ½”
- Hex Socket
- Tool Required: Electric screw gun with hex drive socket for self tapping screws
- Low Center of Gravity reduces moment arm commonly associated with L-Foot/Rail solar mounting scenarios
- Attaches directly to structure or deck for optimal holding strength
- S-5! Recommended substrate specific e.g. steel purlin, wood 2×4, osb, etc fasteners provide excellent waterproofing and pull out strength
- Fastener through-hole locations comply with NDS (National Design Specification)
*Fasteners sold separately. Fastener type varies with substrate. Contact S-5! on how to purchase fasteners and obtain our test results. L-Foot also sold separately.
S-5!® Warning! Please use these products responsibly! Visit our website or contact your S-5! distributor for available load test results. The user and/or installer of these parts is responsible for all necessary engineering and design to ensure the SolarFoot™ has been properly spaced and configured.
Notice to S-5! users: Due to the many variables involved with specific panel products, climates, wind loads, snow loads, and job particulars, the manufacturer cannot and does not express any opinions as to the suitability of any S-5! assembly for any specific application and assumes no liability with respect thereto. S-5! products are tested for ultimate holding strength on various profile types and materials. These install instructions serve to illustrate the correct procedure for securing the Solar Foot to a roof. Proper layout and frequency will vary on a job specific basis and should be determined by a qualified professional. This is an installation guide only and the photographs and drawings herein are for the purpose of illustrating installation, tools, and techniques, not system designs.
The SolarFoot is made for exposed-fastener metal roofing. It provides an ideal, weatherproof mounting platform to attach the L-foot of a rail mounted solar system or other ancillaries to the roof.
• Electric Screw Gun
• String Line
• Tape Measure
• 3/8” Hex Socket Drive
• 13 mm (or 1/2”) Hex Socket Drive
The SolarFoot should be placed in the flat of the panel, between the ribs. It is designed to straddle striations or minor stiffening ribs when necessary. The SolarFoot must be mounted directly over and into the supporting structure of the roof, i.e. wood decking, wood or steel purlins, or trusses, NEVER into the metal roofing material alone.
Fastener selection will depend on whether the supporting structure of the roof is metal or wood.
When relying upon tested load values one of the below fasteners MUST be used.
- Determine the location of the supporting structure of the roof. Wipe away excess oil and debris from the desired mounting location.
- Peel the release paper from the base, align, and apply to roof surface so that fasteners will engage the structure below.
- Install screws through the pre-punched holes in the Solar Foot into the structure below.
- Install the L-Foot over the stud and secure in place with the provided M8-1.25 hex flange nut tightened to 160 inch pounds (13 ft lbs).
NOTE: Attachment frequency and spacing for PV arrays is the responsibility of the system designer. The makers of S-5! SolarFoot make no representations with respect to the variables involved in PV array design. Visit the S-5! website for load testing data.
***S-5!® Warning! Please use this product responsibly!***
These instructions are for use by those experienced in the trade. Always follow appropriate safety precautions and use appropriate tools.