Year-after-year rooftop avalanches cause hundreds of millions of dollars in property damage, personal
injury and even death. The best way to mitigate avalanche danger and reduce liability caused by sliding
snow and ice is by installing a scientifically tested and engineered snow retention system specific to the
snow loads expected on your particular metal roof profile—the focus of this course is exposed-fastened
Did you know S-5! provides a web-based snow guard calculator to help you calculate your metal roof
profile’s snow loads? This course offers a live tutorial to teach you step-by-step how to use the S-5!
calculator in manual mode to run an exposed-fastened roof calculation for trapezoidal and corrugated
You will learn how to set up your own account and what information is needed to run a calculation, such
as the roof’s snow load, building length, roof and panel dimensions, slope, etc. You’ll discover where to
find this data and see where S-5! provides load test results for exposed-fastened roofing on its website.
You will learn the math and science behind running a calculation and understand how to calculate a bill of
materials. Furthermore, you will learn which S-5! snow retention products are best for exposed-fastened
roofing and manually run it on the calculator.
1. Create your own S-5! Snow Guard Calculator account, sign in and start a new project.
2. Learn to use the calculator in a manual-entry mode for exposed-fastened roofs.
3. Discover how to locate the load tables for exposed fasteners/brackets.
4. Ascertain roof design snow loads from a set of plans and other options for finding snow loads.
5. Learn where to find the roof dimensions, rib spacing, pitch and substrate material.
6. Calculate a snow retentions system for an exposed-fastened metal roof.
7. Calculate a bill of materials, including the number of correct fasteners for the specific substrate and bolts.