Use of Snow Retention Devices: Science or Science Fiction
The force of snow and ice on rooftops can be significant, wreaking havoc on valleys, eaves, flashings and gutters. Slippery roof surfaces can result in the sudden release of snow build-up, dumping tons of the white stuff below. Snow guard devices of every description proliferate the marketplace. Misconceptions are promulgated through “technical” articles and sales claims that espouse conjecture and mythology in place of prudent science and logic when it comes to the control of snow and its effects on – and off – rooftops.
This course provides a common-sense approach to understanding how snow acts on roofs, debunking misconceptions and highlighting common mistakes made in this practice. It will teach you how to match the snow retention system to the project using site-specific information and mathematical calculations, eliminating guesswork and supposition. Easy-to-follow instruction will promote a better understanding of prudent metal roof design for snowy climates, including the control of snow and ice with manufactured products.
Rob has traveled the globe to research the field of Northern roof design, snow effects, and snow retention systems and technology. He has also authored numerous technical articles and industry standards documents on the subject.
- Understand the root principles of what causes rooftop avalanches
- Understand rooftop ice dams and their prevention
- Apply simple science and math for project-specific suitability of snow guards
- Complete comprehension of how and why snow guards work
- Reduce liability with prudent product selection and application
- Know how to debunk common myths and misinformation
- Value engineer to save money without compromise to system integrity